Investment Manager / Senior Legal Counsel
About Omni Bridgeway
Omni Bridgeway is the global leader in financing, managing and investing in legal risks, with expertise in civil and common law systems, and operations spanning Australia, Asia, the UK, EMEA and North America. Omni Bridgeway offers capital and project management services for clients from case inception through to post-judgment enforcement and recovery. Since 1986 it has established a record of success for clients around the world.
Omni Bridgeway is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX:OBL) and has the world’s largest dispute finance team, with 160+ talented professionals working from 18 locations across 10 countries. It also includes a joint venture with IFC (part of the World Bank Group).
Context for this role hire
|Job title||Investment Manager / Senior Legal Counsel|
|Office location||Dubai (DIFC), UAE|
|Reports to||Managing Director - EMEA|
|Direct reports||Director Enforcement|
|Key relationships / stakeholders||EMEA investment team, other regional teams and global clients with Middle Eastern-related investments.|
Key role responsibilities
You will be responsible for:
(a) Business Development and Marketing
- Sourcing investment opportunities in the following areas:
- Investment treaty arbitration (and enforcement of resulting awards).
- International commercial arbitration.
- Domestic arbitration.
- Judgment and award enforcement and monetization.
- Construction disputes.
- Debt claims, including Non-performing loans.
- Corporate and portfolio funding tied to the above.
- Creating new relationships with potential referrers of cases for funding in the Middle East.
- Deepening existing relationships in the Middle East region.
- Presenting at conferences, write articles, attend marketing functions; and liaise with industry participants, media outlets and other stakeholders as required.
(b) Reviewing applications for funding
- Analysing factual and legal issues associated with applications for funding.
- Consider the economic metrics of applications (including budgets, funding and return structures and risk sharing arrangements).
- Preparing due diligence analysis for, and present that analysis to, the Company’s investment committee/s.
- Assisting the legal team in the preparation of funding documentation.
(c) Managing Funded Cases
- Monitoring the progress of funded cases, including continuing assessment of prospects of success and recoverability.
- Adding value in strategic direction and settlement discussions.
Required core capabilities
- Admitted to practice (or qualified for admission to practice) in a civil law jurisdiction (UAE/GCC preferred but other Arab jurisdictions considered) and ideally a common law jurisdiction.
- Fluent in English and Arabic.
- Strong existing and relevant network at a senior level across law firms, advisory firms, financial institutions and corporates in Dubai / Middle East, and a proven ability to build upon that network.
- Mid to senior level experience in litigation and/or arbitration which has been gained in a GCC country.
- Currently located in (with valid residence visa) Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
- Confidence in financial settings, including financial concepts and terminology used in investment management.
- Relevant tertiary education and at least 6-10 years post qualification professional experience.
Benefits of joining our team
- This is an opportunity to achieve a career milestone by taking on an entrepreneurial role with a market leader, in the high-growth litigation funding market; leading the expansion of Omni Bridgeway into the regional litigation funding market.
- Joining Omni Bridgeway also offers the opportunity to be part of a talented global team across 18 locations in Australia, Asia, the UK, EMEA and North America.
- On offer is a competitive remuneration package which includes an annual short-term incentive and an annually awarded long term incentive (equity) program.