Dana C. MacGrathNew York
Investment Manager, Legal Counsel
Dana C. MacGrath is an Investment Manager and Legal Counsel at Omni Bridgeway, responsible for leading the company's investments in international arbitration matters and contributing to its commercial litigation funding efforts.
She joined Omni Bridgeway in 2019 from Sidley Austin LLP, where she was a partner focusing on international arbitration and commercial litigation.
Dana's ability to structure funding deals that address the special needs of parties engaging in or representing clients in international disputes is informed by having conducted arbitrations before the leading international arbitration institutions, as well as before ad hoc arbitration panels, and by serving as an arbitrator herself. She has also represented U.S. and foreign parties in disputes regarding the enforceability of arbitration agreements and arbitral awards, forum selection and choice of law clauses, sovereign immunity and discovery in the international context. Dana has been recognized as a leading practitioner of international arbitration in various directories including Chambers USA, Who's Who Legal: Arbitration, Latinvex in “Latin America's Top 100 Female Lawyers” and Expert Guides' Guide to the World's Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration. She has also been recognized in the Lawdragon Global 100 Leaders in Legal Finance as a prominent consultant and strategist to the legal profession.
Dana has long been a leader in her field. She is the current president of the Board of Directors of ArbitralWomen, an international nonprofit organization that promotes the equal representation of women and diversity in international dispute resolution. In May 2019, Dana was elected to the Council of the American Arbitration Association-International Centre for Disputes Resolution (AAA-ICDR). In September 2019, Dana joined the ERA Pledge Steering Committee. She is an affiliate member of the Arbitration Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, of which she served as Chair from September 2015-June 2018. She served as co-chair of the CPR Institute Arbitration Rules Revision Committee and is a member of the CPR Arbitration Committee. She is also a member of the International Arbitration Club of New York, the ICC Commission on Arbitration Task Force on Reducing Time and Cost in Complex Arbitration, the ICC Commission on Arbitration Task Force on National Rules of Procedure for Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Awards Pursuant to the New York Convention of 1958, the International Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
She is an adjunct professor of law at Brooklyn Law School, where she teaches a seminar on international commercial arbitration and coaches the Brooklyn Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot team. Dana is the immediate former co-chair of Y-ADR, the young arbitrators group of the CPR Institute.
- Author. Second Circuit Rules in Hanwei Guo that Section 1782 Does Not Apply to Private Commercial Arbitrations. ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin. December 2020.
- Author. Launch of Racial Equality for Arbitration Lawyers (REAL). ArbitralWomen. December 2020.
- Author. Second Circuit Rules in Hanwei Guo that Section 1782 Does Not Apply to Private Commercial Arbitrations. ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin. 2020 Issue 3.
- Co-Author. Circuit Split on 28 U.S.C. § 1782: Are U.S. Courts Trending Against Discovery for Foreign Private Arbitrations. Kluwer Arbitration Blog. October 2020.
- Co-Author. Third-Party Funding and Covid-19. Kluwer Book: International Arbitration and the Covid-19 Revolution. October 2020.
- ADR: Diversity and Inclusivity. International Centre For Alternative Dispute Resolution (ICADR). December 23, 2020. Webinar.
- Stronger Together: Colloquy on Diversity and Perseverance. New York Arbitration Week. November 18, 2020. Virtual Event.
- Arbitration in Times of Pandemic: Procedural changes and impact on diversity: for better or worse? Dubai Arbitration Week. November 17, 2020. Virtual Event.
- The enforcement of intra-EU awards: will the US come to the rescue? Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. November 10, 2020. Webinar.
- Disclose Practice and Other Ethical Matters: The Impact of Recent Rulings on Arbitrators and Experts. GAR. October 14, 2020. Webinar.
- Fireside Chat with ArbitralWomen President Dana MacGrath. ArbitralWomen. October 13, 2020. Webinar.
- The Great Debate Part 2: Third Party Funding of International Commercial Arbitrations. Arbinsol. September 15, 2020. Webinar.
- International Arbitration, Insolvency and Third-Party Funding – The Post-Pandemic State of Affairs. Center for International Legal Studies (CILS). June 26, 2020. Webinar.
- A Step Forward Toward Diversity: A Directory of Women Arbitrators. ArbitralWomen. June 25, 2020. Webinar.
- Third-Party Funding in International Arbitration and Cross Border Litigation: The Current State of Play. American Bar Association International Law Section (ILS). June 9, 2020. Webinar.
- Third-Party Funding Part II: The Nuts and Bolts of the Funding Process. Garibaldi Inn. May 14, 2020. Webinar.
- Cutting Edge Issues in Commercial Arbitration. American Arbitration Association. May 14, 2020. Webinar.
- Early Stage Business and Damages Evaluation in International Arbitration. ICC - Young Arbitrators Forum. February 5, 2020. New York, NY.
- A Year In Review in Regional and International Arbitration. GAR Live Women in Arbitration. December 5, 2019. London, UK.
- Should regionalism be an item on the agenda? 17th ICC Miami Conference on International Arbitration. November 10-12, 2019. Miami, FL.
- ArbitralWomen Challenge: New Ways to Champion Diversity. Hong Kong Arbitration Week. October 21, 2019. Hong Kong, China.
- Private Equity, Financial Services and Insurance Disputes. Hong Kong Arbitration Week. October 20, 2019. Hong Kong, China.
- Career Paths in Arbitration. Harvard Law School. September 25, 2019. Cambridge, MA.
- Third Party Funding in Arbitration: What Challenges Lie Ahead. 2019 Brazilian Arbitration Day at NYU. September 6, 2019. New York, NY.
- PLI: International Arbitration 2019. June 10, 2019. New York, NY.
- Beyond the Echo Chamber. The 18th Annual ACR-GNY Conference. June 4, 2019. New York, NY.
- Arbitration Finance: A Deep Dive. 2019 Harvard Litigation Finance Symposium. April 3, 2019. Cambridge, MA.
- What Parties and Their Counsel Have a Right to Expect and Arbitrators Should Be Delivering: Arbitration at Its Best. NYSBA Arbitration 2019. March 25, 2019. New York, NY.
- Diversity in Arbitration. Columbia Arbitration Day. March 8, 2019. New York, NY.
- Hot Topics in International Arbitration. iLaw 2019 International Law Conference. February 22, 2019, Miami, Florida.
- Conflict Prevention Resolution Annual Meeting. February 8, 2019, Washington DC.
- The Future of ADR. 2019 CPR Canada Conference "Resolving the Unresolvable". February 4, 2019, Toronto, Canada.