Senior Investment Manager and Legal Counsel
Gavin Beardsell is a Senior Investment Manager and Legal Counsel based in Omni Bridgeway's Sydney office, responsible for managing funding opportunities in Australia and New Zealand.
He is currently managing Omni Bridgeway's investments in a range of funded claims. In Australia, this includes the Sirtex Medical shareholder class action, Combustible Cladding class actions and the CoreStaff mine workers class action, and in New Zealand, the CBL Corporation shareholder class action and Combustible Cladding class action.
Gavin has over 25 years' experience in commercial litigation and class actions. As a Partner at the UK's largest insurance law firm, BLM, he acted for several leading UK insurers and their clients in relation to high value claims in the High Court of Justice and the Court of Appeal.
Since 2008, Gavin has practised in Australia, as a Partner at Gilchrist Connell and then as Senior Consultant at Clyde & Co. He has acted for insurers and large corporations defending and/or advising on high profile class actions brought by shareholders, debenture holders and other investors in the Federal Court of Australia, and the Supreme Courts of NSW and Victoria. These include OZ Minerals, WorleyParsons, UGL Limited, Australian Executor Trustees and RiverCity Motorway Group.
Gavin has a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Exeter University, England and a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (Distinction) from the College of Law, England. He is admitted to practise law in Australia and in England & Wales.
Gavin regularly publishes articles and practice notes and is often approached for commentary:
- Co-author. Dispute finance for companies in New Zealand. Practice note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law. March 2020.
- Author. How insurers can use dispute finance to reduce risk in subrogation and reinsurance cases. Omni Bridgeway Blog. 12 March 2020.
- Co-author. Federal Court approval of funding commission recognises risks faced by funders. Lawyerly. 9 September 2019.
- Author. Litigation funding for insurers. IMF Bentham Blog. 22 March 2018.
- Co-author. Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Insurance. Practice Note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law Australia. September 2017.
- Co-author. Section 6 gone but not forgotten – the ‘no utility’ legacy. Mondaq. 20 July 2017.
- Co-author. Proper construction of an exclusion clause in a D&O policy - Oz Minerals Holdings Pty Ltd & Ors v AIG Australia Ltd  VSC 185. May 2015.
- Author. The High Court of Australia’s decision concerning section 54 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth). Maxwell v Highway Hauliers Pty Ltd  HCA 33. September 2014.
- Author. Liability of rating agencies, financial institutions and resellers of complex financial products. ABN Amro Bank NV v Bathurst Regional Council  FCAFC 65. July 2014.
- Author. Liability of a financial adviser for losses suffered as a result of investments in complex financial products. Wingecarribee Shire Council v Lehman Brothers Australia Ltd (in liq)  FCA 1028. September 2012.
- Show me the money: resolving funded class actions. APIG National Conference. 1 September 2022.
- Recent developments and the future of class actions in Australia: an industry and legal perspective. Australian Insurance Law Association National Conference. 12 August 2022.
- Understanding and Unlocking the Value of Litigation Finance for Insurance Claims for both Policyholders and Insurers. Chambers and Partners. 9 December 2021. Webinar.
- Replacing combustible cladding? The class action you need to know about. Your Strata Property podcast. 14 May 2019. Sydney, NSW.
- Combustible cladding class actions. Webinar Facilitator. 6 March 2019.
- Panel Discussion: Creative and modern approaches to managing disputes. Lexvoco In-House Counsel Masterclass Program. 18 August 2018. Sydney, NSW.