Jim BatsonNew York
Senior Investment Manager, Director of Business Development and Structuring - US
Jim Batson is a Senior Investment Manager and Director of Business Development and Structuring-US and head of Omni Bridgeway’s New York office.
Jim also assists his fellow Omni Bridgeway Investment Managers and Legal Counsel with formulating deal terms and structures. He monitors a multi-million-dollar investment portfolio and leads the company’s corporate outreach initiative working with decision-makers and influencers involved in legal, risk and capital management seeking non-resource financing for commercial lawsuits. Before joining Omni Bridgeway in 2014, Jim held roles as Chief Operating Officer and Consultant for two commercial litigation finance companies.
Jim serves as a strategic partner, providing consultation on cases from initial review through final resolution. His guidance is drawn from 20 years of experience as a trial lawyer and senior partner with a prestigious plaintiff’s law firm that brought many of its cases on a contingent-fee basis. An accomplished litigator, Jim represented the plaintiff in Zubulake v. UBS Warburg, a case widely regarded as redefining parties’ e-discovery obligations in litigation. Jim proves to be a valuable resource for lawyers appearing in various jurisdictions. He has tried cases in federal and state court and before the American Arbitration Association, JAMS, FINRA and the Chicago Board of Trade. He also handled regulatory proceedings before the SEC, the NYSE and FINRA.
- Author. Consumer vs. Commercial Litigation Funding: How They Are Different and Why It Matters from a Regulatory Perspective. Bentham IMF Blog. January 31, 2018.
- Author. Using Litigation Funding in Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors. Bentham IMF Blog. June 28, 2017.
- Author. Litigation Finance Proves Valuable Tool for Private Equity Acquisitions and Divestments. Bentham IMF Blog. May 3, 2017.
- Author. Bentham Passes Test on Ethics Concerns Raised by Attorney Malpractice Insurers. Bentham IMF Blog. April 12, 2017.
- Author. Integrating Litigation Funding into Your Next Client Pitch. Bentham IMF Blog. February 1, 2017.
- Consumer Products Executive Roundtable - Commercial Litigation. Perkins Coie LLP. February 7, 2020. New York, NY.
- Navigating the Ethics of Litigation Finance. New York City Bar Association CLE Program. January 24, 2020. New York, NY.
- Finance for Lawyers and Other Professionals. Practicing Law Institute Webinar. November 26, 2019. New York, NY.
- 13th Annual Leading Law Firms Conference. Sandpiper. November 22, 2019. New York, NY.
- Risk: How Can Dealmakers Protect Themselves in Deals? The Deal Economy. November 20, 2019. New York, NY.
- 5th Annual Disruption & Innovation in the Delivery Of Legal Services. Sandpiper. September 17, 2019. New York, NY.
- 2nd Annual Financing, Structuring & Investing in Litigation Finance. IMN. June 4, 2019. New York, NY.
- Innovation, Disruption and Integration in Corporate Dealmaking. The Deal Economy New York 2018 Conference. November 29, 2018, New York, NY.
- TPLF in High Stakes Commercial and Complex Litigation. GW Law Third-Party Litigation Finance Conference. November 2, 2018. Washington, D.C.
- Litigation Financing: What Private Equity Firms Should Know and Do. The Knowledge Group Webcast & Podcast. September 19, 2018, New York, NY.
- Sharing Risk & Reward: Best Practices in Client-Law Firm Partnerships. 2018 LF Dealmakers Forum. September 17, 2018. New York, NY.
- Litigation Finance – An Alternatives Strategy Event. CFA Society New York. July 17, 2018, New York, NY.
- Third-Party Litigation Funding: What You Need to Know. The Knowledge Group Webcast. May 17, 2018, New York, NY.
- Litigation Finance: Structuring Third-Party Funding of High Cost Claims, Underwriting, Investment Terms, Documentation, Conflict of Interest and Disclosure Issues. Strafford Continuing Education Webinar. April 17, 2018, New York, NY.
- Ethical Issues in Litigation Financing. Boston Bar Association. March 5, 2018, Boston, MA.
- Litigation Funding: The Latest Ethical Landmines and How to Avoid Them. Lawline Webinar. February 9, 2018, New York, NY.
- Ethical Issues in Litigation Finance. ABA Law Practice Division Webinar. September 19, 2017.
- Ethical Issues in Litigation Finance. New York State Bar Association Seminar. September 15, 2017, New York, NY.
- Litigation Funding as a Risk Sharing Tool. New Jersey Law Journal Litigation Summit. September 14, 2017, Florham Park, NJ.
- Litigation Funding as a Risk Sharing Tool. New York Law Journal Litigation Summit. September 13, 2017, New York, NY.
- Complex Investigation & Litigation Opportunities: Where to Find Them & How to Fund Them. SCG Legal 2017 Annual Meeting. September 8, 2017, Denver, CO.
- Evaluating Economic Outcomes and Ethical Considerations in Litigation Financing. Beard Group’s Class Action Money & Ethics Conference. May 1, 2017, New York, NY.
- Litigation Funding: What Lawyers and Their Clients Need to Know. New Jersey State Bar Association – Construction Law Section CLE. March 8, 2017, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Winning the Arms Race in Big Civil Cases - the Upside and Downside of Litigation Finance. 16th Annual Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference. March 1-3, 2017, Chicago, IL.
- Using Litigation Finance to Increase Law Firm Profitability and Mitigate Risk. Litigation Counsel of America’s 2016 Fall Conference and Celebration of Fellows. October 19, 2016, Amelia Island, FL.
- Ethical Issues in Litigation Finance. Lawline Webinar. October 5, 2016.
- Litigation Funding: Increasing Revenues, Profits and Realization. SCG Legal 2016 Annual Meeting. September 15, 2016, Boston, MA.