Associate Investment Manager
Kate Hurford is an Associate Investment Manager based in the Adelaide office, with responsibility for due diligence and management of funded cases.Kate has degrees in law and economics from the University of Adelaide. She qualified as a solicitor in South Australia and was subsequently admitted to practice in Hong Kong and England and Wales. Kate has extensive experience in commercial litigation, having worked for Piper Alderman in Adelaide and Herbert Smith (now Herbert Smith Freehills) in Hong Kong and London. Kate also worked as a consultant for UK legal publisher, Practical Law, part of Thomson Reuters.
- Co-author. Dispute finance for companies in New Zealand. Practice note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law. March 2020.
- Co-author. High Court ruling against common fund orders supports the right to free choice for group members. Lawyerly. 9 December 2019.
- Co-author. Federal Court approval of funding commission recognises risks faced by funders. Lawyerly. 9 September 2019.
- Author. Legal recovery programs and dispute resolution finance. IMF Bentham Blog. 8 July 2019.
- Co-author. Conducting litigation efficiently and cost-effectively – tips from seasoned litigators. The Australian Corporate Lawyer, Volume 28, Issue 3 – Spring 2018.
- Co-author. Implications of this week’s Full Federal Court ruling on competing class actions. IMF Bentham Blog. 23 November 2018.
- Co-author. Class actions require flexible approach: IMF Bentham submissions to ALRC Inquiry. IMF Bentham Blog. 19 October 2018.
- Author. Funding commercial claims: 5 key facts for litigators and in-house counsel. Lawyerly. 28 June 2018.
- Author. Litigation funding: Levelling the playing field. The Bulletin (Journal of the Law Society of South Australia). August 2017.
- Co-author. Third-party funding for international arbitration claims. Practice note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law.
- Co-author. Third-party funding in arbitration in Asia. Practice note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law.
- Co-author. Litigation funding for insolvency claims. International Corporate Rescue. January 2017.
- Co-author. Re Vanguard Energy Pte Ltd  SGHC 156 – Litigation Funding Now Permitted in Singapore Insolvency Cases. International Corporate Rescue. January 2017.
- Co-author. Civil Justice & Third Party Litigation Funding. The Bulletin (Journal of the Law Society of South Australia). October 2015.
- Co-author. Is it time to abolish maintenance and champerty as a crime and tort in Hong Kong? Hong Kong Lawyer (Official Journal of the Law Society of Hong Kong). August 2015.
- Co-author. Third-party funding: Snapshots from around the globe. 7(5) Global Arb. Rev. 2012, 25-31
- Co-author. Third party funding in international commercial and treaty arbitration – a panacea or a plague? A discussion of the risks and benefits of third party funding. 8(4) Transnational Dispute Management, 2011.