Ken EpsteinNew York
Investment Manager and Legal Counsel
Ken Epstein is an Investment Manager and Legal Counsel at Omni Bridgeway, responsible for leading the company’s initiatives in bankruptcy and insolvency-related matters.
He serves as a resource for debtors, creditors (including hedge funds, private equity funds and alternative asset managers), bankruptcy estate representatives and other stakeholders seeking to maximize the value of litigation claims.
Ken has extensive experience advising and managing debtors-in-possession, individual creditors and creditor groups (ad hoc and official committees) and financial institutions in insolvency and bankruptcy-related litigation matters nationally and internationally. He began his career as a lawyer in the financial restructuring group of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. Prior to joining Omni Bridgeway, he was managing director in the restructuring and remediation group at MBIA, a publicly listed financial institution.
Ken has taught bankruptcy law as an adjunct professor at Cardozo Law School and has served as a panelist and author on bankruptcy-related topics. He earned his J.D. from Brooklyn Law School in 2000, where he graduated cum laude after serving on the Journal of Law and Public Policy. Ken is recognized in the Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Third Party Funding Guide (2020 - 2021) and LawDragon Global Restructuring Advisors & Consultants Guide (2020).
- Co-Author. Law Firm Funding & Work Product Doctrine. Bloomberg Law. April 11, 2022.
- Co-Author. Portfolio Litigation Funding. NAFER. March 16, 2021.
- Co-Author. Litigation Finance for Lawyers Advising Corporate Boards. Bloomberg Law. November 2020.
- Co-Author. A Trustee's Choice: Hire Contingency Counsel or Use Litigation Funding. LexisNexis: A Practical Guidance Article. October 2020.
- Co-Author. Third-Party Financing and the Ability to Recover Fees from an Opposing Party. LexisNexis: A Lexis Practice Advisor Practice Note. August 2020.
- Co-Author. Portfolio Litigation Funding and its Use by Insolvent Estates. LexisNexis: A Lexis Practice Advisor Practice Note. December 2018.
- Author. Funding the Post-Confirmation Trust When the Well Runs Dry. TMA Journal of Corporate Renewal. April 2018.
- Co-Author. Litigation Funding: An Essential Tool for Maximizing the Value of the Debtor’s Estate. New York Law Journal. March 15,2018.
- Using Litigation Finance to Maximize Value in Distressed Situations. AIRA's 38th Annual Bankruptcy and Restructuring Conference. June 10, 2022. Cleveland, OH.
- Litigation Investing: ILOs & Other Developments. OffshoreAlert. April 26, 2022. Miami, FL.
- Litigation Finance in Bankruptcy: A Potential Game-Changer. NCBJ. October 7, 2021. Indianapolis, IN.
- Forecasting the Future of Litigation Funding - Episode #5: Part 1 and 2. Turnaround Management Association (TMA) Podcast. November 9, 2020. New York, NY.
- How Litigation Funding Works in Bankruptcy. Practicing Law Institute (PLI). September 24, 2020. Webinar.
- Liquidity Stress and Monetizing Legal Assets during the Great Shutdown. Offshore Alert. April 28, 2020. Webinar.
- Bankruptcy Funding. PLI Studio Briefing. October 29, 2019. Webinar.
- Complex Litigation Issues. NAFER Annual Conference. October 18, 2019. Scottsdale, AZ.
- Litigation Funding for Corporations. Association of Corporate Counsel. September 25, 2019, Darien, CT.
- Third-Party Litigation Financing. 26th Annual ABI Southwest Bankruptcy Conference. September 6, 2019, Las Vegas, NV.
- Panel Discussion: 14th Annual Credit, Restructuring, Distressed Investing & Turnaround Conference. Chicago Booth School of Business. March 8, 2019, Chicago, IL.
- Panel Discussion: Litigation Finance.14TH Annual NYIC/AIRA Joint Bankruptcy and Restructuring Event. January 22, 2019, New York, NY.
- Panel Discussion: Financial and Ethical Aspects of Litigation Funding. District of Connecticut Bench-Bar Conference. October 26, 2018. Portland, CT.
- Post Confirmation Liquidating and Litigation Trusts. American Bankruptcy Institute 26th Annual Southwest Bankruptcy Conference. September 7, 2018, Las Vegas, NV.
- Third Party Financing of Litigation Seminar. Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys 2018 Continuing Legal Education Weekend. June 10, 2018. Newport, RI.
- Litigation Funding in the Bankruptcy Space. American Bankruptcy Institute 12th Annual Credit & Bankruptcy Symposium. April 27, 2018, Uncasville, CT.
- Use of Litigation Finance in Insolvency Proceedings. American Bankruptcy Institute 36th Annual Spring Meeting. April 21, 2018, Washington, D.C.
- Litigation Funding in Bankruptcy. Connecticut Bar Association Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section Meeting. April 11, 2018, New Haven, CT.
- Litigation Finance for Distressed Companies. Wharton Restructuring and Distressed Investment Conference. February 23, 2018, New York, NY.