Oliver Gayner is a Senior Investment Manager based in Sydney, having joined Omni Bridgeway in 2015.
Oliver is a highly experienced funder with an international practice that has, since 2012, involved investments in multiple jurisdictions such as Australia, the UK, Continental Europe, Hong Kong and Singapore. His experience includes international commercial and investment arbitration, M&A and joint venture disputes, securities litigation, antitrust, fraud, insolvency, environmental tort, and international enforcement.
Between 2012 and 2015, Oliver worked as a Litigation Funding Manager for Burford Capital in the UK. Between 2003 and 2012, he was in private practice as dispute resolution lawyer with Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP and Olswang LLP in London, where he was a solicitor advocate with Higher Rights of Audience, and Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He also completed several secondments in-house at investment banks and a global technology company.
Alongside his busy investment practice, Oliver is a member of Omni Bridgeway’s executive committee with particular responsibility for the company’s expansion into developing markets, such as Asia (2016-2017) and EMEA (2018-2020).
Oliver has degrees in English and Law. He was recognised as a ‘notable practitioner’ in the Chambers and Partners 2019 Litigation Support Guide and is also recognised in Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders – Third Party Funding 2020 Guide and LawDragon Global Restructuring Advisors & Consultants Guide (2020).
- Co-author. Economic impact of COVID-19 and monetising legal assets. Omni Bridgeway global update. April 2020.
- Co-author. Dispute Funding and the Energy Sector. Arbitration in the International Energy Industry, Globe Law and Business. March 2019.
- Co-author. Litigation Funding: Extending Access to Justice. ICGN Yearbook 2018. 11 December 2018.
- Co-author. Singapore And Hong Kong: International Arbitration Meets Third Party Funding. 40 FORDHAM INT'L L.J. 1033 (2017).
- Co-author. Third-party funding for international arbitration claims. Practice note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law.
- Panel Discussion: Third party funding for litigation and arbitration proceedings. International Bar Association Conference. 10 October 2017. Sydney, NSW.
- Panel Discussion: ICC FraudNet Global Conference. ICC FraudNet. 7 October 2017. Sydney, NSW.
- Panel Discussion: The Funding of Insolvency. IPBA Banking and Insolvency Committee. 9 April 2017. Auckland, New Zealand.