Cheng-Yee KhongHong Kong
Senior Relationship Manager
Cheng-Yee Khong leads Omni Bridgeway’s Hong Kong office and is responsible for new case origination and relationship management.
Cheng-Yee was formerly an Investment Manager responsible for due diligence and management of funded matters across Asia and EMEA. In her current role, she collaborates across jurisdictions world-wide to identify funding opportunities, including arbitration, litigation and insolvency claims. Cheng-Yee is a member of our Latin America Group, contributing to Omni Bridgeway's commercial arbitration, litigation funding, and judgment enforcement efforts in Latin America.
An international arbitration specialist, Cheng-Yee has worked in leading international arbitration practices in Paris and London (Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer) and Kuala Lumpur (Shook Lin & Bok). Before joining Omni Bridgeway, she founded the Asia office of the International Chamber of Commerce and served for eight years as Director and Counsel of the ICC International Court of Arbitration Secretariat for Asia. Cheng-Yee has advised on complex cross-border matters throughout Asia Pacific, Europe, the US and the Gulf. She is fluent in English, French and Cantonese and has conversational Malay, Indonesian, Mandarin and German.
Cheng-Yee is a qualified lawyer in England and Malaysia, with degrees in law, and international business and management. She serves as a member of the Mauritius Chamber of Commerce and Industry Mediation and Arbitration Centre (MARC) Court, the Arbitration Committee of the Lagos Court of Arbitration and the IBA Investment Arbitration Sub-Committee. Cheng-Yee is also part of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre Task Force on Third Party Funding and an invited specialist on the working party assisting the Secretary for Justice as the authorised body performing functions under Part 10A of the Arbitration Ordinance. Cheng-Yee is recognised in Who's Who Legal Thought Leaders 2022.
- Author. Monetising Legal Assets - Social and Economic Benefits of Third-Party Dispute Finance in Asia. Asian Journal of Law and Society. November 2021.
- Co-author. Third Party Funding in the MENA Region. International Bar Association (IBA) Dispute Resolution International (DRI). May 2021.
- Co-Author: Third-Party Funding and Covid-19. Kluwer Book: International Arbitration and the Covid-19 Revolution. October 2020.
- Co-author. Third-party funding in arbitration in Asia: overview. Practice note. Thomson Reuters Practical Law. July 2019.
- Co-author. Third-Party Dispute Finance in Japan. Business Law Journal Japan. 21 May 2019.
- Author. Hong Kong Code of Practice for Third-Party Funding. IMF Bentham Blog. 14 December 2018.
- Co-author. Third Party Funding in Asia. Asian-Mena Counsel. 24 July 2018.
- Co-author. ICC Arbitration Chapter. Asia Arbitration Handbook, Oxford University Press. 2011.
- Costs and Third-Party in International Arbitration. Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration and Jincheng Tongda & Neal. 14 June 2022. Webinar
- Dispute resolution strategy: Key considerations for In-house Counsel. Control Risks. 3 November 2021. Webinar.
- Funding claims and recovering assets - HKIAC Insights. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. 30 July 2020. Webinar.
- Have a dispute but don’t want to spend money on it? Malaysian Chamber of Commerce (Hong Kong & Macau). 28 May 2020.
- 5th IPBA Arbitration Day Osaka. IPBA. 12-14 November 2019. Osaka, Japan.
- 14th ICC New York Conference. ICC. 1-5 November 2019. New York, NY.
- The Safe, Efficient and Effective Management of Arbitration in a Paperless World. Latham & Watkins and Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. 20-25 October 2019. Hong Kong.
- Revealing the Person Behind the Mask: Third Party Funding. Asia ADR Week 2019 Debate. 27 June 2019. Kuala Lumpur.
- Efficiency, Stability, Neutrality and Good Governance; Chinese-African BITs: Facing New Challenges; MCCI Business Club meeting. Mauritius Arbitration Week 2019 events. June 2019. Mauritius.
- Dispute Resolution Finance: Solutions for managing risk, reducing cost and monetising disputes. Law Firm Network Annual Meeting. May 2019. Hong Kong.
- Practicalities and benefits in the use of third party funding in arbitration. Association of Corporate Counsel Hong Kong. March 2019. Hong Kong.
- Whose Role is it Anyway? Debating the upsides and downsides of party or tribunal appointed experts in Arbitrations. BRG / HKAC / Arbitration Chambers. March 2019. Hong Kong.
- Third Party Funding in Arbitration. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. February 2019. Hong Kong.
- What you need to know about Third-Party Funding. The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. January 2019. Tokyo, Japan.
- YAF South Asia Regional Conference. ICC. 7 December 2018. India.
- Pre-Arbitration Strategy Workshop. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. 6 December 2018. Mumbai.
- Political risk planning: Issues to consider with assets in unstable jurisdictions. STEP Asia Conference. 20 November 2018. Hong Kong.
- Panel Discussion: MARC Panel Session. Hong Kong Arbitration Week. 29 October 2018. Hong Kong.
- Challenges and Prospects of Third-Party Funding of Arbitration Matters in the Middle East. International Bar Association Conference, Rome. October 2018. Rome, Italy.
- The Rising Commercial and Investment Interface Between Africa and Asia: Challenges and Opportunities. Hong Kong Arbitration Week 2018. Hong Kong.
- Norton Rose Fulbright Arbitration Debate on Arbitral Institutions and the Future of Arbitration. Hong Kong Arbitration Week 2018. Hong Kong
- Benefits of funding for corporates. AsiaLaw Dispute Resolution Conference. September 2018. Hong Kong.
- Demonstration of Discussion with Third Party Funder. CIETAC Hong Kong - Day of Arbitration Field Practice. September 2018. Beijing.
- Training on International Arbitration for Elite Young Lawyers in Guangdong Province. ICC / SCIA / Guangdong Bar Association. 29 August 2018. Shenzhen.
- Third Party Funding in Arbitration. Association of Corporate Counsel, Hong Kong Chapter. 12 June 2018. Hong Kong.
- Third Party Funding in Arbitration. 4th ICC/CIETAC Conference. June 2018. Beijing.
- Panel Discussion: IMF Bentham and DS Legal Capital Seminar on Third Party Funding. CIFTIS Trade Fair. 29 May 2018. Beijing.
- Introducing the New MARC Arbitration Rules. Mauritius Arbitration Week. May 2018. Mauritius
- Preview on new MARC Arbitration Rules. McCullough Robertson & MARC ICCA Breakfast Seminar. 17 April 2018. Sydney, NSW.
- Panel Discussion: HKIAC Pre-Arbitration Strategy Workshop, Maximising Recovery in International Arbitration. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. 21 March 2018. Seoul.
- Mechanics of Third-Party Funding. IMF Bentham and King & Spalding Seminar. 13 March 2018. Manila.
- IMF Bentham Seminar on Third Party Funding. February 2018. Manila.