Dr. Martin MetzCologne
Investment Manager, Senior Legal Counsel
Martin Metz is a Senior Legal Counsel and Investment Manager based in the Cologne office of Omni Bridgeway, where he is responsible for providing legal analysis and advice on funding enquiries and will manage funded cases with a focus on Arbitration matters.
Martin specializes in advising German and foreign clients on cross-border legal disputes in arbitration proceedings and commercial litigation. He will also focus on expanding Omni Bridgeway’s Arbitration practice in German speaking countries. In addition, he is also a member of our Latin America Group, contributing to Omni Bridgeway’s commercial arbitration, litigation funding and judgment enforcement efforts in Latin America.
Martin joined Omni Bridgeway in 2021 from DLA Piper, where he specialised in advising clients in the automotive, energy, technology, and insurance sectors. Prior to DLA Piper, Martin spent two years as a visiting scholar at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law where he conducted research for his Ph.D. on transnational human rights litigation.
He is admitted to both the Cologne and California Bar and lectures on "Transnational Commercial Litigation" at the EBS (European Business School) University in Wiesbaden. He has also lectured at the University of Cologne and the China EU School of Law in Peking.
Martin graduated with a law degree at the University of Cologne and holds an LL.M. from the French and German Masters-Programme of the University of Cologne and the Université de Paris 1 (Panthéon-Sorbonne).
- Erstattung von Finanzierungskosten in Schiedsverfahren, Dispute Resolution Magazin, 2/2022 (publication in German)
- US Human Rights Claims and Neo-Territoriality, Peter Lang Verlag, 2017 (publication in German)
- Transatlantic Data Transfers - Conflict or Consistency?, Zeitschrift für Datenschutz 2017, 361 (co-authored with Jan Spittka, publication in German)
- The long Road to the Determination of Claims - In Focus: Occurrence of Insolvency after the Arbitral Award, Dispute Resolution, 3/2017, 11 (co-authored with David Buntenbroich, publication in German)
- Enforcement without Borders - Regulation on a European Account Preservation Order: New Possibilities for Provisional Measures when Securing Claims Cross-Border, Dispute Resolution, 1/2017, 6 (co-authored with David Buntenbroich, publication in German)
- 12th DAJV Specialized Group Conference 2016: "Methods of Dispute Resolution during Ongoing Contractual Relations: Ad Hoc Arbitration, Dispute Boards and Emergency Arbitrators", SchiedsVZ 2016, 322 (publication in German)
- Transatlantic Proceedings: Issues of Service of Process and International Law in Human Rights Claims, The Decision of the German Constitutional Court of 03.11.2015 (2 BvR 2019/09), Dispute Resolution, 1/2016, 6 (publication in German)
- Narrowing Personal Jurisdiction: Recent US Supreme Court Jurisprudence, IPRax 2014, 364 (publication in German)