Sumru Akter is responsible for assessing funding inquiries and managing funded matters in arbitration, litigation and cross-border enforcements.
Sumru is specialized in investor-treaty and commercial arbitrations, as well as enforcement of judgments and arbitral awards.
Before joining Omni Bridgeway, she practiced law at Pinsent Masons where she represented construction and energy companies, financial institutions and distributors in operational disputes, debt recovery proceedings and enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards. She also has experience before the European Court of Human Rights in relation to applications concerning the right to property and fair trial.
Sumru holds LL.M. degrees in international disputes from MIDS, The Geneva LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement, Switzerland and in Economics Law from Galatasaray University, Turkey and a degree in Bachelor of Laws from Marmara University, Turkey.
- Author. Mohamed Abdulmohsen Al-Kharafi & Sons Co. v. Libya and Others; Cairo Court of Appeal, Judgment Dated 3 June 2020. The Journal of Enforcement of Arbitration Awards, JurisNet 2019 Vol 2 No 2.
- Author. Flipping the Hourglass: Time Limits for the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, in Katia Fach Gomez and Ana M. Lopez-Rodriguez (eds), 60 Years of the New York Convention: Key Issues and Future Challenges. (© Kluwer Law International; Kluwer Law International 2019)
- Author. The Legality Requirement in Investment Treaty Arbitration and the Consequences of Investor’s Misconduct. Journal of International Trade and Arbitration Law, Legal 2019 Volume 8 Issue 1.
- Turkey Arbitration Week: The Green Transition, a 360 View. Young EDAC. November 2021. Istanbul.
- Extension of Arbitration Agreements to Third Parties. ICC YAF. 22 September 2021. Webinar
- International and Turkish Perspectives on Third Party Funding. Wilmerhale Event. 22 January 2021. Webinar.
- Ukrainian Arbitration Forum 2020. 11 November 2020. Kyiv.