Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer - APAC | Portfolio Manager - Global International Arbitration
Tom is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Omni Bridgeway’s investment management, due diligence processes and operations across the Asia Pacific region. He also manages Omni Bridgeway’s international arbitration portfolio, leading our team of arbitration specialists across the globe.
Tom joined Omni Bridgeway in 2017 and built the largest and most respected legal risk finance and management team in the Asian region, before assuming APAC regional leadership. His team is applauded by clients and recognised and awarded by industry participants and commentators.
Before joining Omni Bridgeway, Tom was a senior member of Allen & Overy’s international arbitration and disputes practice in Asia, where he handled complex multi-jurisdictional matters for global businesses across numerous sectors, including financial services, automotive, energy, industrial manufacturing and construction. Prior to this, Tom worked with leading New Zealand law firm, Russell McVeagh, where he represented local and multi-national clients in high-end commercial matters before the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of New Zealand.
Tom holds dual degrees in Law and International Relations, and is a qualified lawyer in New Zealand and Hong Kong. He is a frequent guest speaker and panellist throughout Asia on the topics of dispute funding, litigation and arbitration. Tom was a member of the Working Group that established and launched the Indian Association of Litigation Funders (IALF) in 2021. He is also a regular commentator in the media and is recognised as an industry frontrunner in leading directories, including Chambers and Partners Litigation Support 2020-2022, a ‘notable practitioner’ Chambers and Partners 2021 and 2022 Litigation Funding: International Arbitration guide, Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders 2020-2022, Lawdragon Global 100 Leaders in Legal Finance 2021 and 2022 Guides and Lawdragon Global Restructuring Advisors & Consultants 2020 Guide.
- Co-author. Third-Party Dispute Finance in Japan. Business Law Journal Japan. 21 May 2019.
- Co-author. Dispute Funding and the Energy Sector. Arbitration in the International Energy Industry, Globe Law and Business. March 2019.
- Co-author. Enforcing Legal Awards in Asia. Asset Recovery Hub. 16 November 2018.
- Co-author. Mitigating the Risks of Subrogated Claims by Insurers. Singapore Law Society Gazette. November 2018.
- Author. Milestone decision on third party funding in Singapore. IMF Bentham Blog. 13 September 2018.
- Co-author. Dispute resolution finance in Korea: An Introduction to basic concepts of third part litigation and arbitration funding, the development of the global industry and its application to Korea. Korean Arbitration Review Volume 15 Issue 9 2018.
- Co-author. Third Party Funding in Asia. Asian-Mena Counsel. 24 July 2018.
- "Third party funding: how ready are we? Delhi Arbitration Weekend 2023. 19 February 2023.
- Global dominance of litigation funding. Legal Pay, Legal & Insolvency Financing Summit. 16 September 2022.
- The implications of ‘no win no fee’ arrangements in ADR practice. 7th ICC Asia Pacific Conference on International Arbitration. 22 June 2022.
- SIDRA Third Party Funding. Singapore International Dispute Resolution Academy (SIDRA). 29 October 2021. Webinar.
- Current Status of Third-Party Funding in International Arbitration, and its Development in Multiple Jurisdictions: Australia, Singapore, United Kingdom and United States. World Arbitration Update. 13 October 2021.
- Debate: The Tension between Transparency vs. Confidentiality in International. 2021 ADR Week. Asian International Arbitration Centre. 19 August 2021. Virtual Event.
- Is India ready for Litigation Financing? Expert industry panel hosted by Khaitan & Co. 18 February 2021. Virtual Webinar.
- Litigation Finance in India - Industry, Adjudicators, Practitioners and Experts' Perspective. Launch of the Indian Association of Litigation Finance. 11 February 2021. Global Virtual Webinar.
- Funding insolvency claims in Asia-Pacific. Lexology. 26 November 2020. Virtual Event.
- Third-party funding virtual roundtable. Stephenson Harwood LLP. 25 September 2020. Singapore.
- Dispute funding: Legal masterclass series. British Chamber of Commerce Myanmar. 23 September 2020. Singapore.
- Dispute funding. Stephenson Harwood LLP. 30 July 2020. Singapore.
- Webinar: Third party funding in the context of COVID-19. HKIAC. 30 July 2020. Hong Kong.
- Webinar: Mixed mode dispute resolution and third-party funding. 15 July 2020. Vietnam.
- Webinar: Have a dispute but don't want to spend money on it? Malaysian Chamber of Commerce. 28 May 2020.
- Webinar: Funding infrastructure disputes, using litigation finance. India young Leaders Group. 28 May 2020. India.
- Panel Discussion: How to obtain funding for arbitrations in India. Nishith Desai Associates. 14 April 2020. India.
- 2nd ICC Indonesia Arbitration Day. ICC. 21-22 November 2019. Jakarta.
- GC Summit Philippines. Legal 500. 3 October 2019. Manila.
- Cocktails, Canapes and The Convention. Freshfields, Maxwell Mediators and IMF Bentham. 5 August 2019. Singapore.
- Litigation/Arbitration Funding. Law Firm Network. 17 May 2019. Hong Kong.
- Seminar: Dispute Resolution Finance. Fronteo. 16 April 2019. Tokyo, Japan.
- Practicalities and benefits in the use of third party funding in arbitration. Association of Corporate Counsel Hong Kong. 26 March 2019. Hong Kong.
- Third Party Funding in Arbitration. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. 26 February 2019. Hong Kong.
- What you need to know about Third-Party Funding. The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. 23 January 2019. Tokyo, Japan.
- Panel Discussion: Sherlock Holmes for International Arbitration. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, supported by Mintz Group and IMF Bentham. 14 January 2019. Singapore.
- Panel Discussion: New Insolvency Bill. TMA Next Gen Singapore. 20 November 2018. Singapore.
- Panel Discussion: Dispute Resolution Summit 2018. Euromoney, AsiaLaw & Benchmark Litigation. 20 September 2018. Hong Kong.
- Benefits of funding for corporates. In-house Congress workshop. 19 September 2018. Singapore.
- Benefits of funding for corporates. AsiaLaw Dispute Resolution Conference. 20 September 2018. Hong Kong.
- Sir Rupert Jackson's talk on Efficient Management of Litigation and Arbitration. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre. 20 September 2018. Hong Kong.
- Mechanics of Third-Party Funding. IMF Bentham and King & Spalding Seminar. 13 March 2018. Manila.
- Panel Discussion: Annual Symposium. Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. 16 November 2017. Singapore.
- Panel Discussion: Arbitration Funding. Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre and Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration. 8 November 2017. Kuala Lumpur.
- The arrival of Litigation Funding in Singapore. In-House Congress. 29 September 2017. Singapore.
- 25th IAKL Conference. International Association of Korean Lawyers. 14 September 2017. Seoul.